Friday, April 27, 2007

Such a loss...

Michael Smuin, the award-winning choreographer for ballet, Broadway, film and television, died Monday in San Francisco of an apparent heart attack. He was 68. . He collapsed during a rehearsal with his company...
I had the opportunity to dance with Mr. Smuin in the beginning of my career. He was always so good to me... from when I first started taking class and was nothing but a bag full of potential to years later when I'd see him in New York. Patrick and I had dinner with he and his wife Paula a couple of times and we'd see him at Sally Streets whenever she'd have a party.
I remember auditioning for his production of "Shogun" in New York. We were going across the floor and as always, he was pushing everyone very hard. I came across and as I passed him, he said, "I bet you think I don't remember you, Mike. How's Patrick?". It was a bummer I had to tell him he had recently passed away. I made all the cuts at his audition and afterwards we went for drinks with his two dance captains for the show. We talked about Patrick a lot that night...
The world has lost another talented man. And like I said, he was always so kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home