Sunday, April 16, 2006

Suddenly, it all makes sense.

I posted this back in November:

What the F*#k????
So I auditioned for a show last week. I was not called back. REPEAT: I WAS NOT CALLED BACK. Not even for the dance chorus.
I received an e-mail today from the choreographer. She said, "You are too good to dance in this show." WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN????
Bitter? You bet.
Whatever. Their freakin' loss.
BTW... the SO got in.

Last night, 5 months later, I saw the show. Now I get it.
Don't get me wrong, the show was fine. Actually, it was pretty good. Belle and Gaston were good. The Beast was amazing - I could listen to that guy sing all day long. The set was really incredible and the special effects were a lot of fun - the switch from Beast to Prince was expecially good. The rest of the leads/supporting roles were okay.
BUT...
The chorus (and let's face it, if they had even considered me, that's where I would have ended up) was like a bunch of ugly step children. Their costumes were embarassing. You could clearly see that the money was spent on the set and the costumes for the leads.
As for the choreography... the only people on that stage who had even mildly interesting movement were the 6 girls who played the napkins in the Be Our Guest number. The men did basically NOTHING. Most of the larger numbers were more about "staging" as opposed to real dancing. It looked more like the choregrapher did "herding" instead of choreographing. I would've killed myself out of sheer boredom...
Also, I think I would've hit an all time career low if I had to be a dancing fork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home