Monday, May 16, 2005

so i'm reading my sister's blog (i'd turn those words blue so you could just click on them and automatically open her blog in another window, but i have no clue) and she writes about going shopping over the weekend. fascinating stuff for me. if you (whoever YOU are) haven't figured it out, i'm obsessed with shopping. now, be clear. It's not about the purchases... it's more about the ACT of shopping. sure, now I make more purchases because I can suddenly afford it. but i was a shopper when i COULDN'T afford to buy anything. i was a broke ass dancer in new york and i still went to Barney's every chance i got. I couldn't buy anything of note, but I went.
i go downtown almost every weekend. i have what I call my "walk of shame"... if I park at the sutter stockton garage, here's my route: hit Kate Spade to see if there are any new Jack Spade bags, then in to Saks Men's Store (usually just the first floor to check out the shoes and accessories - i like the stuff on the top floor but the shop boys up there are just too much for me to stomach - i'm beginning to gravitate towards watches *trouble ahead*), back out onto Post... run across to Burberry. Straight in and right to the elevator to take me to the men's floor. I do one lap and if nothing catches my eye i go right back and press the down button at the elevator. after Burberry, I walk up to Union Square, hang a left and head for Neiman's. Straight for the escalator and ride down to the men's floor... cruise the watch cases and the bags, then on to shoes keep going and walk through prada, miu miu, and the rest of the contemporary designers then walk past the "old guys" stuff, past the suits and up the escalator and out the revolving doors. avoid the PETA folks and avert my gaze from the eviscerated animal on the posters, head back over to Grant to attack Gimme Shoes. Say hi to the nice girl who always gives me a discount cuz "you're always in here". lately nothing has been motivating me at Gimme. I wonder if I'll get the discount next time I buy a pair of shoes. I digress. after Gimme i head down to market and hit Puma. Of late, i've been buying SOMEthing ever time I walk into that store. I was cleaning my shoe room the other day and did an unofficial count of my Pumas... i'm up to 16 pairs of shoes, 3 jackets (plus one I bought for the SO that I will wear on occaision), and two hats. they're very righton right now. very. after Puma, i'll start to lose interest... then I shift into wandering aimlessly mode which is never good. on occaision i'll wander into the Crap just to laugh. sometimes i'll cross the street and make my way into SF Center. Not much in there... Club Monaco... sometimes I'll take the freakish curved escalator up and wander through JCrew... sometimes. then it's back to the sutter stockton garage - sometimes i'll stop at Banan Republic, Tumi or Longchamp on the way - load up Mini with whatever purchases I managed to make and drive home. I wonder how much ground i cover during the walk of shame... does that count as working out? Prolly not. I think my heartrate is higher when i see something yummy than it is when I'm walking around.
If I park at the O'Farell st garage, it's a different story. when i park there, i'm all business. straight to Puma, then to Neiman's. an occaisional foray into Urban Outfitters, then back into Mini and head to Hayes Valley. Hayes Valley is Gimme Shoes, Huf for groovy kicks, Paolo for shoes (REALLY fast through Paolo - they're getting a bit too EuroTrash for me), over to Propeller for house stuff, then into Flight 001 for bags and travel accessories, keep going down to Friends for more groovy house stuff. (I bougt a really great clock there the week before I left for maui). they also carry Acme Bags. Even though i don't really need another computer bag, i always go look at them - they're really beautiful bags. If I feel up to it, i'll wander over to MAC (NOT the make-up place. MAC stands for Modern Appealing Clothing or something like that). MAC is where I bought my first suit EVER 'bout a year ago.
now, i'm not sure why i blogged about shopping... maybe i was thinking this is like keeping a food log when you're dieting... that's supposed to help you with overeating. maybe a shopping log will help me with my shopping. do i really need help with my shopping??? I mean, i'm not charging anything. I pay cash for all my purchases. ALL of them. I charge nothing. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it. so... is that so wrong? is it wrong to do something that hurts nobody including myself? it shouldn't be... why does it feel so wrong?

1 Comments:

Blogger ver said...

You are a leeeetle bit scary...

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home