Sunday, July 08, 2007

It's official...

Looks like we'll be the newest additions to the population of Madison, Wisconsin. We flew out to Madison last Sunday, I interviewed with Lands' End on Monday, they offered me the position of Director of Visual Merchandising on Tuesday and I accepted on Friday. My first day of work with them will be August 13th, 2007.
Pretty crazy, huh? ME in Wisconsin. Suffice to say, the offer was too good to pass up. Aside from the fact that they are doubling what I make out here, the cost of living in Madison is FIFTY PERCENT less than San Francisco (I checked it out on some Cost of Living Camparison website). The math boggles my coddled mind. Let's all just agree that we'll be sitting pretty in Madison.
Our trip there was pretty quick, but we were able to get a bit of a feel for the place. A relocation guy drove us around and showed us several beautiful condos. NONE of which was more than 250 thousand dollars. Amazing. The plan is to rent for a year or two, save some money and then buy something. The signing bonus they gave me along with my annual bonuses should put us in pretty good shape after a year and great shape after two. On top of that, the place is kinda' lovely. It's a college town (University of Wisconsin) and has that kind of vatality to it. It's also the State Capitol, so it's dressed out pretty nicely. Downtown Madison, while not being New York or San Francisco is groovy. Apparently there's been a revitalization of sorts in the Downtown area and people are moving back into the city proper. Tons of new consstruction going on and there are plenty of living options for the more "urban" types who've found themselves transplanted to the midwest.
I've got my eye on a place called, Tobacco Lofts at Findorff Yards. Check it out:
http://uli.com/Residential_TobaccoRow.aspx
it's the loft I've always dreamed of, but in this dream, I can afford it. Two bedrooms and two bathrooms for between 1500 and 2000 a month, depending on the floorplan. I have a feeling we're gonna be going with the largest floorplan they've got avaiable. I mean, if I'm gonna move to freakin' Wisconsin, I may as well be living in as comfortable a place as possible. If for some reason we can't get in (the relocation lady has ASSURED me that she'll get us in despite the fact that when Mike spoke to them, they said there was nothing available), we've got about 4 other places that are pretty incredible as options.
The fact that Madison doesn't have a Gimme Shoes, Neiman's, Saks, Bloomingdale's or Barney's will be torturous, but in the long run, will be good for me. Also, the office is "denim friendly" so that makes things much easier - i can't even begin to tell you how many times i've said to myself as I've been getting dreessed in the morning, "I wish I could just wear jeans!". On top of that, these people have seen none of my wardrobe. Virtually, my wardrobe is brand spanking new. It's like a miracle.
A miracle. Yeah... I could use one of those right about now.
Wish us luck!!! (oh... and save the "cheese" jokes.... they're a bit obvious).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home