Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Karma" or "It Pays to be Nice"

As you all know, I'm changing jobs and moving to a far away place. My last day at my old job is this Friday. An e-mail went out last week and I've been truly touched by all of the calls and such that I've been getting from people. The good people have been nothing but supportive. The assholes have been, well, assholes. They're the ones who look down their noses and say, "How can you move THERE???" To which I sooooooo want to respond, "I don't know... how can you think those shoes look good on you?" Or, "I don't know... how can you think that people don't notice everytime you get a new botox injection?" Or, "I don't know... how can you continue to use a charge card to pay for your groceries so you can make your rent?"
Anyhow, thankfully I have managed to avoid an excess of assholes. One thing that has taken me by surprise is how many people have said, "You soooo deserve this!" DeSERVE? Did these people actually notice that I've been slaving away at this place for the past almost six years? Nice.
Back to my original thought. YES, I have original thoughts.
So about a year ago, one of the IT guys ran into me while I was having a smoke in the courtyard. I said Hi and he sat down next to me and we started chatting. he was having some problems with a co worker and asked for my advice. I figured I had nothing to lose so I was very frank with him and let him know what I thought. I ran into the same IT guy yesterday and we did the "I'm outta here" chat. THEN, then!!!! He said, "Do you need anything for your computer?"
"Mo, we just talked about this. I'm LEAVING on Friday."
"Not THAT computer. YOUR computer!"
"Mine? Really?"
"Of course. What do you want?"
"Anything?"
"Anything you want."
"Um... Photoshop? Illustrator? Quark? InDesign?"
"Bring in your laptop tomorrow and I'll load you up."
It pays to be nice. I'm just sayin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home