Sunday, June 19, 2005

Mambo!


TMK200b
Originally uploaded by shuboy.
bwahahaha... well, i got out of going to F-day with the SO by saying that I was taking the 'rents out for brunch at Absynth. now... that's not necessarily a lie as I DID invite them. Seems dad is more into watching the golf on tv than tasting the AMAZING corned beef hash as Absynth.
anyhow, we went to see Mambo Kings last night. The show itself needs a bit of tightening up, but the DANCING!!!!! OhMYGOD!!!!!! Absolutely, flat out INCREDIBLE. all mambo, all the time - big surprise, right? anyhow, the dancing FAR outweighed any of the rest of the shows weaknesses. So much so that I decided to take mom today. this morning, i got up and immediately went online to check the seating availability - i was a little nervous as the show is closing today - I was pleased to find 2 tix in the center orchestra.
the SO hated the show. i think he just didn't get it. He's currently in a "I'm a DIRECTOR" mode. (can you feel me rolling my eyes?) I mean, it's a wonderful story. like i said the show needs to be tightened up a bit and I'm sure it will be before it opens on broadway. the second act dragged a bit and there are a couple of scenes that could be cut, or better yet, replaced with dance numbers. did i mention the dancing was incredible???? i just sat there thinking, "you cannot teach this to dancers". it's something that you just have to be born with or born into. it reminded me of going to a quinsinera (sp???) and seeing everyone - including the really little kids - dancing so naturally to incredible latin rhythms. the steps didn't come as naturally to me, but i could keep up. i AM filipino after all, and i can dance a pretty mean cha-cha. but the mambo is different. there's a little catch step in there. the catch happens in the feet and it's like it's directly attached to the hip, shoulder and head. the chin even gets involved as it juts out just a bit with the step. there's a sneer that creeps onto the lips... it's just so incredibly sexy. i was amazed at one of the girl dancers. she was the BEST girl on the stage and I have a feeling that she was one of the dance captains. anyway, not only was she completely FIERCE (how GAY is that word???), but she was also the oldest dancer on the line. it was so clear that this woman was born with these steps in her blood. I can't wait to see it again this afternoon. I'm sure mom will enjoy it. I hope she does... who knows, maybe i'll just start ordering an extra ticket for her whenever we go to shows... Mambo, baby. Mambo.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only heard that it is absolutely terrible...and they are spending millions to bring show doctors in to fix it before it comes to Broadway. Well, I'll be curious to see it since you liked it. I have no doubt the dancing is incredible!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Shuboy said...

it will definitely need some doctoring... the two male leads don't have strong enough voices. christianne noll is in it and she's the best vocally.
here's my thought... sergio trujillo should do what susan stroman did with contact... I'd pay top dollar to see an entire show of his choreography... tango argentino? Mambo Trujillo! pues horale!

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see that Jerry Mitchell is on the team to "fix" the show? Ugh.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Shuboy said...

yeah... i saw that. he better not touch that choreography. did i tell you that mike had a little e-mail exchange with him? mike's ex had some sort of connection to JM and hooked them up via e-mail. Mike asked some questions about Full Monty... woohoo.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home