Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Best Salesman in San Francisco

Okay, so I needed to pick up an outfit for the formal night of a conference i'm going to the first week of august. For last years conference I bought my very, VERY first suit. Yummy Armand Basi black variegated pinstripe numbah. i wore it with a black variegated stripe shirt. sounds crazy, right? heck no. it was just crazy enough - 'specially when worn with black patent Mihara Yasuhiro Pumas. Picked it up at MAC (Modern Appealing Clothing - not the make-up store). So I went back to MAC. Specifically to MAC and Scott. He's probably one of the best salesmen I've ever worked with. Not pushy AT ALL. Honest. Frank. Fun. and just pissy enough for me to handle. I like that he runs around FOR me. Instead of making me trail behind him all over the shop as he pulls stuff, he brings the stuff TO me. Also love that he always offers me something to drink. Nothing fancy... a bottled water or maybe some coffee.
anyhow... i was considering buying another suit. brown this time. the other option was to try and figure out a way to make last years suit look COMPLETELY different. i thought the challenge of making the old suit look new was more fun. first thing we decided was that color would make it look new. Scott pulled a red Armand Basi shirt. plain, clean, RED. it was really, really good. i thought since i didn't wear a tie last year that we might be able to find a groovy tie. next to land in the dressing room was a patterned spread collar number... spread collar killed the idea of the tie, but that didn't break my heart - I hate ties. the other lovely thing about this shirt was the pattern. allover, tight, subtle pattern that at first look seemed like a paisley, but was actually a peacock feather pattern giving it a really cool, exotic undertone. cream body... the pattern was in red. As i'm checking the last shirt in the mirror I see Scott walking towards me holding this, this, this... dream. I can't even describe it and I won't even try. Suffice to say it was INCREDIBLE. impeccable details. color was NOT what you'd immediately think of pairing with the suit but it was really perfect. (that made it even more appealing to me) As Scott handed it to me, I spotted the label inside the collar. Dries Van Noten. Ouch. I only have one other of his pieces - a pair of shoes that I bought at Louis of Boston about ten years ago. I had to skip dinner for three weeks to pay for them (but HEY, I still wear them). I could only imagine how much this dream shirt was gonna be... Scott totally read it in my eyes.
"You realize your timing is impeccable." he said.
"What?"
"This is our major sale time - just about everything in here is 50 percent off."
Yet another reason why I love this guy. the pissy shopboys at Neimans or Saks would've all but pointed and laughed if they noticed the slightest hesitation at a price point. I smiled and took the shirt into the dressing room. before I even dared to try it on, I checked the price. $395. OUCH. I thought he said something about everything being 50 off??? Don't even tell me he handed me a shirt that was originally priced at close to 800 bucks. At that very moment, i could hear ver's voice in my head saying something about a shirt being able to sprout wings and fly someone home. Just as I was about to tell Scott that I hated it, I noticed that there was something handwritten on the tag. some more numbers... a one, an eight and a nine. PLUS a dollar sign. $189. woohoo! $189 for a gorgeous Dries Van Noten shirt with the magical ability to make a one year old suit look completely new? Sold. i got the peacock one too. another deal at 99 marked down from 198.
If everyone behaves, i'll post pics. I've gotta wait for the Dries shirt until Thursday... they're having it tailored for me.
I did good shopping today.

2 Comments:

Blogger ver said...

Hey, $189 is the magic price point for good deals!

Just so you know for next time, the thing I said after Drew bought an outrageously-priced shirt was..."When you put it on can you fly?" He hasn't done it since.

12:53 PM  
Blogger hayes said...

WOW! That's all I have to say. If I ever bought a piece of clothing worth that much my husband would kill me. I bet it was fun!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home