Monday, September 03, 2007

Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Yesterday was difficult.
I think we all know by now that shopping plays a huge role in my life. In SF I would go shopping on weekends when I got bored. Or when I was upset. Or when I just fucking felt like it! These past weeks I've been quelling the shopping ache by going out and getting stuff for the house. Wall hangings and a desk from UnEarthed, a couch from Steinhafel's, various and sundry necessities from Target. (Have I mentioned that I've been to Target more in the past 3 weeks than I've ever been in my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE???) Well, yesterday we had no real plans to do anything and the shopping ache was calling my name. I TRIED to make it go away by running out to Target and getting some window coverings for the kitchen. Didn't work. Then I remembered that there was a Macy's not far from the house. I thought, "Great. I'll go there. Maybe they'll have some shoes or something." Let me tell you... the Macy's out here is a far cry from the one in SF. Come to think of it, I NEVER went to the Macy's in SF. With everything else out there, it just didn't merit my time or money. Anyhow, we walked in and had to actually SEARCH for the men's shoe department. When we finally found it, it was about 75 square feet of major ugly. As I scanned the tables and displays not finding anything that even mildly interested me, I found my breathing getting shallow. I got light headed. Seriously. I really did. I was shocked and a little confused by my reaction. I was so immensely disappointed, that I was having an actual physical reaction to it. Knowing full well that this horrible little Macy's was my last bastion of shopping hope in this god forsaken shopping place, and it was coming up empty made me sick.
(I am SO not being dramatic here. I know you're all snickering, but I'm dead serious. I actually thought I was going to faint.)
I mean, think about it. The hopelessness of it all...
We wandered out of Macy's and into the small mall. Bath and Body, a Hallmark store, something called "Oriental Specialties (KEE-RIIIIIST!!!!!!!!!), Cornblooms (????), The University Bookstore. I had to sit down. And smoke. I had to smoke.
After my smoke, we went back into the mall. I could feel the desperation rising inside of me. Then I saw it. A shoe store called "Morgan's" or something like that. "I bet they have slippers." I thought to myself. "I could use a new pair of slippers.. Yeah... THAT's it. I'll buy slippers!!!". I had an old pair of Ugg slippers that I had gotten at Nordstrom's about a year ago and they could be replaced. Morgan's had a big Ugg sign in the front of the store, so I figured they might have the slippers. We went in and looked at the wide assortment of ugly shoes. The army of salespeople were helping customers describing things like how a shoe should be comfortable. whatever. I felt like screaming, "The uglier the shoe the more comfortable!! Period."
Then I spotted something. A shoe that sparked something in my memory. A spread from a men's fashion magazine. Granted, it was a spread from an OLD men's fashion magazine... but whatever. You get the picture. Okay... and in the magazine, the shoes were in a beautiful kinda' jewel tone blue... anyhow, I bought these:
shame

I'm so ashamed.

3 Comments:

Blogger ver said...

Hoookay. Let's get this straight: you've been there a month or so? And you're attending football games and purchasing...what're those?...some kind of Birkenstocks?

Ohmalordy.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't know if you've got Blogger set to notify you of new comments, but welcome to the area. I happened to stumble onto your blog looking for scoop on the Tobacco Lofts, and have been reading forward from that point.

Sorry to say, the shoe selection for men in Madison sucks mightily. I've half a mind to open my own shoe store. But if you're looking for good menswear shopping, try Context on King St. Stop by my page and say hi if you get the inclination.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Mapquested Madison to Minneapolis (i.e. Mall of America) for you. It's only 4-1/2 hours....might y'all need a weekend away?

xo

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home